Sunday, March 15, 2009

Inside and Outside

"Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. It takes one to know one. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors. But God isn't so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you've done. You didn't think, did you, that just by pointing your finger at others you would distract God from seeing all your misdoings and from coming down on you hard? Or did you think that because he's such a nice God, he'd let you off the hook? Better think this one through from the beginning. God is kind, but he's not soft. In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change."
Romans 2:1-4 from The Message on Bible Gateway

"Those people..." at the beginning of this passage refers to people Paul talks about in chapter 1 who "...know perfectly well they are spitting in God's face. And they don't care..."

So last week I was talking to a friend and we both have come to the realization that this passage of scripture was talking to us. I realize now how judgmental I have been toward others. How little grace I have had for others and where they are, not allowing God to be big enough to love them. Five years ago if I knew of someone who said they were a Christian, yet they drank, chewed and cussed I would have questioned their faith rather than think the best and see what God has actually done in their lives that has been good. This leads me to want to ask for forgiveness from all those whose faith I have judged by my standards, because I am that person now. I don't want to change my behavior because the Christian culture says I should, I want God to work on me from the inside out, I want him to have my heart and do the changing. Does this mean I have a license to sin? Of course not (just ask Paul) it does mean that God is working on things in my life that are probably more important like my heart and attitude toward others (inside of the cup) and less concerned about some outward things (outside of the cup). I am still really processing through a lot of this, I feel a need to press into Jesus more so He can work on me. I feel a need to become a whole lot less self-righteous and a lot more humble.

This is what God is doing in me, it isn't that pretty really, but it is good. It isn't fun, but it is good. I know this that he wants more of me and I want him to have more of me too.
K

Luke 11:38-40 The Message
When he (Jesus) finished that talk, a Pharisee asked him to dinner. He entered his house and sat right down at the table. The Pharisee was shocked and somewhat offended when he saw that Jesus didn't wash up before the meal. But the Master said to him, "I know you Pharisees burnish the surface of your cups and plates so they sparkle in the sun, but I also know your insides are maggoty with greed and secret evil. Stupid Pharisees! Didn't the One who made the outside also make the inside? Turn both your pockets and your hearts inside out and give generously to the poor; then your lives will be clean, not just your dishes and your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment