Monday, June 22, 2009

Dan

I am getting tired of this little keyboad and long updates, but here we go.  Spent last night at a hotle in flag and got some good sleep.

Dan's parents made it in last night.  His mom stayed last night with him and his dad is staying here today.  I will come home today and his dad will continue to give me updates and I will spread any news.

Dan is doing okay.  Still sedated and progressing.  Amazingly he has broken vertebrae in his neck but it is the "spines" of bone that come off the vertebrae so there is no spine damage and they will heal.  He went in for a CT scan this morning at 8:30 and will be out around 10 am.  There is a lot of waiting at this point.  Head injury is still an unknown but he seems to be doing okay.  His lung is a big concern but he has been taking breaths on his own.  He vent is set for 14 breaths per min, he has been taking 16 breaths.  Infection from surgery is a big concern as well, but he is on some strong antibiotics.  They are looking at his face/head to see how to reconstruct the bones that are broken.  Flagstaff has a great trauma center and they will keep him here for a few weeks in ICU.  

Continue to pray for him and his family.  Let me kow if you have questions.

Kris

3 comments:

  1. Do we know exactly what happened? Maybe I'm late to the discussion. My youth group and I are big Dan fans after our service project day with him a couple weeks ago. We are praying and I am sharing the info you post, but they (we) are curious about the hows and whys of the fall.

    Thanks for posting the updates

    Kevin Morrison
    Kaleo Fellowship
    Bakersfield, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers, I know that Dan does an incredible job with the people he works with and the kids that come to camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as how, we don't know a lot for sure because Dan was by himself when it happened. He went with a small group of summer staff and evidently decided to take some time to himself and explore. While climbing he fell 30' to 40', I have not been to the site so I don't know if it was at an angle and a rock came loose or something like that but believe it must have been some kind of accident like that because he knows how to keep it safe. Anyway 911 received a call reporting someone calling for help. They found him did the rescue and he was flown to Flagstaff Regional Medical ICU. He is in ICU South rm 8. Maybe your kids could write some encouraging words to his parents and/or Dan. I know it would encourage his parents to know his impact. Let me know if you need more info.
    K

    ReplyDelete