Monday, June 29, 2009

Dan Update and Financial Help

Papa Papa
I don't know if I mentioned this here, but the first 24 hrs Dan was known as Papa Papa. I kind of like his new nickname. The mediflight or EMS crews had given the name so ICU used it until his name and data got into the computer. The good news of the day is that Dan spent most of the day off of the ventilator breathing on his own. They still have him on some oxygen, but he is off the vent. He may go on tonight if he has trouble breathing tonight, but then tomorrow they would try to take him off. Earlier today they found 80 ml of fluid outside of his left lung between it and his ribs putting pressure on that lung making it hard to breathe. After removing that he was breathing better. They haven't found the cause of the fever he had yesterday, but CT scans of his head and abdomen didn't show any signs of infection and the spinal tap test for meningitis came back negative as well. He did respond to one command, but otherwise has not. He also has had his right eye open and tracks people across the room although his eye movement is somewhat jerky.

FINANCIAL AID
We have opened an account at National Bank of Arizona called the Dan Barker Medical Fund. As you can imagine the medical bill for this is going to be astronomical. Dan has insurance but is going to need to meet his deductible and I would guess his max out of pocket expense. To contribute all you need to do is walk into any National Bank and let them know you want to donate to the Dan Barker Medical Fund. They should be able to help you. Or you can send a check to me made out to Dan Barker Medical Fund. We have already had the missions committee from a church express interest in donating and an 8 year old girl gave $50 to the fund so if you have been wondering what more you can do besides pray here is your chance. If we raise more than the max out of pocket I am sure there will be some physical or occupational therapy that the money could go toward or if he is unable to work with his hands possibly training or education.

Kenny and Polly
As I mentioned in my facebook status Kenny went to be with Jesus early this morning at 2:50. He was resting peacefully at the time and Polly told us she had prayed that God would take him home as he really didn't have any kind of quality of life. I don't know whether Polly is going to stay here at camp, or move down with one of her children. I also don't have any info on when services will be held for Kenny. I do know we need to keep Polly in our prayers, 65 years together is a long time and I believe those two have truly become one so this is going to be difficult for Polly.

Vacation
My family left for Missouri to visit Amy's family last Friday and I am going to go join them this Thursday evening I am going to fly out. I will then drive back with them around the 8th or 9th of July. I am looking forward to some down time. I will continue to check in with Dan's parents and post updates here. Things seem to be more stable and a little slower as far as Dan is concerned so keep praying for slow steady progress.

1 comment:

  1. Kris, thanks for keeping the blog going for Dan. We are praying everyday for his recovery and healing. Have a safe time on vacation.

    ReplyDelete