Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thanks for Thoughts

I will quote here a couple of comments from Facebook that were made on my last blog entry "Freedom in the Fellowship" as these guys have brought up some interesting perspectives. I would also like to make it clear that Bonhoeffer refers to Christians living in community which I think is true in the broadest sense of the word community. I think it can be true with Christians and how they treat those who are not followers of Christ, how different church denominations look at each other and how two Christians who know each other only on Facebook might treat one another.

"Sometimes it is of our own insecurities, we find that one needs to find fault in others appearance, actions, misdeeds etc to lift our self up above because we want to measure up. this can be done knowingly or unknowingly. What is bad is when it is knowingly and even maliciously brought into the house of God or used as a tool to feel "holier than thou" and Christians that should know better act evil spirited.... It is hurtful to my spirit if I dwell much on often negative, selfish or careless actions of those in leadership on many levels from parents, educators, church leaders, political leaders and self professed Christians who knowingly attribute to this often dog eat dog, me first, materialistic world."

"I think in most fellowships you do have those who you describe who know they are the best Christians. However, there are many of us who walk into that same fellowship well aware we are not the best. We know full well our weaknesses, our doubts, our lack of faith and see the so-called (or self proclaimed) "best" Christians and see that we fall woefully short. As a result, we do not engage, & we do not feel safe in sharing our weakness for fear that we will be found out and judged by those we see as the "best". We wonder if the "best" are struggling with the same things we are, but feel that if we were to ask them, they would deny those struggles and would then look down even more on those whose faith is weaker than theirs. One of the most important things God has taught me over the past few years is he loves me just as I am."

What I hadn't thought of and got a good perspective from both of these two guys I quoted is that there are two sides to this. Self-justification and judgement (measuring ourselves against others) is bad either way. Some of us selfishly (as the first quote points out) really hurt others and abuse the power we think we have and really put ourselves up there. While others (as the second quote points out) self-justify and judge (measure ourselves) and find we fall way short. Both are a problem if we are trying to walk this walk closer to Jesus. Neither allow God to be the God who saves instead we are either puffed up and better than everyone else or we are so defeated by the reality of who we are that even God can't help us. When I think of and read what Paul writes he is a good example of someone who came from self-justification and judgement (before he met Christ on the road) to a good understanding of God's grace. I am going to do some reading of Paul's writings to continue to allow God to work this into my heart. I want to live by God's grace and remember the One whom I serve...every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment